A man is presumed dead after being swallowed by a sink hole in Florida, USA. Desperate efforts were made by the man’s brother after the sink hole opened up in his bedroom, to rescue him, however as the hole grew he was unable to reach him. Fire officials have said that it is safe to presume he is now dead and the house has now been deemed too unstable to continue rescue efforts.
The man 36 year old Jeff Bush was screaming for his brother as he was sucked into the whole which was opening up in his bedroom, as he settled in to sleep. Mr Bush’s brother, told My Fox Tampa Bay: ‘I ran in there and heard somebody screaming, my brother screaming, and I ran in there. And all I see is this big hole. All I see is the top of his bed. I didn’t see anything else, so I jumped in the hole and tried getting him out. And I couldn’t get him. I could hear him screaming for me, hollering for me. I couldn’t do nothing.’
Officials from Hillsborough County Fire Rescue arrived at the home at 11 p.m. on Thursday; one of the first officers on the scene had to pull Mr Bush’s brother out from the edge of the sink hole before he himself was also sucked in.
Speaking about the scene they found when they arrived Lt. Donald Morris from Hillbosourgh County Sheriff’s Department said: ‘The mattress, the bed, everything was actually going down in the hole where the first person had gone and now the second person is in the hole trying to save the first. And they’re not being successful so [the rescuer is] just reacting and doing what they have to do to get that person out. It was deep enough that the person he pulled out to safety was not able to fully extend their arms and even reach the top.’
Engineering equipment had been put down the hole, however no signs of life were found.
Image courtesy of Crazy Craven