Welbeck Available for Chelsea’s Fulham Opener

Xabi Alonso takes charge of Chelsea for the first time in a competitive fixture.
Welbeck Available for Chelsea's Fulham Opener

Danny Welbeck will be available for Chelsea's Premier League opener away to Fulham on Monday.

Welbeck had been spotted training individually on Friday morning, raising concerns that he may be an injury doubt for Xabi Alonso's first competitive game in charge of Chelsea. The veteran forward, a summer signing from Brighton, has been managing a small issue, but Alonso has confirmed he will be available for selection at Craven Cottage.

"He can be involved," Alonso said in his pre-match press conference on Thursday. "He needs a couple of days not training too much because of a little thing. We expect him to be back on Saturday."

Alonso also confirmed that those who had returned late following the World Cup would be available for selection despite a limited pre-season. That includes wantaway midfielder Enzo Fernandez, who remains heavily linked to Manchester City despite Chelsea's self-imposed deadline for clubs to meet their £120million valuation passing without any bids last Friday.

On Fernandez, Alonso refused to say whether the 25-year-old had personally told him he wanted to stay at the club. However, he did go on to praise the Argentine's attitude since returning to training 10 days ago and said he would be ready to play against Fulham.

"Enzo is a Chelsea player. He is a top, top player. He's training really well since he started 10 days ago with the team, very integrated, and we are happy with him, and he's getting ready for Monday," Alonso continued.

Elsewhere, Emmanuel Emegha returned to training last week, having missed the majority of pre-season with a hamstring injury. The summer arrival from Strasbourg was not, however, involved in Chelsea's final pre-season friendly last weekend as they beat Real Sociedad 3-1 at Stamford Bridge.

Jordan Henderson also missed out against Sociedad despite being pictured in training last week. The former Liverpool captain has been recovering from a wrist injury sustained in the aftermath of England's last-16 victory over Mexico in July.

Transfer news LIVE: Arsenal triple deal, Alvarez boost; Man Utd medical

Alonso delivers verdict on Chelsea 'bomb squad': 'Not an issue'

Alonso issues Chelsea injury update as summer forward fit for Fulham

Discover a hidden island paradise in the Indian Ocean

Young centre-back Aaron Anselmino is still struggling with a hamstring injury picked up in the final friendly of Chelsea's tour of Australia and Asia.

Wesley Fofana, meanwhile, is suspended after he picked up a red card in the final league game of last season away to Sunderland.

It is unclear yet whether Alonso will opt for a three- or four-man defence against Fulham, having switched between both during pre-season.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts